View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic2 View Post
I performed a "search" on this site and a few others. There are many threads for insurance and I researched many sites on the web. I found and read ALOT of useful information. I contacted ten or more companies to compare coverage and cost and I contacted RV dealers to ask who was easy to work with and who was not. What I learned:

1. Each state has different rates for each company
Example: The same coverage with the same RV with the same person can be different depending on where you live; and some companies don't operate in certain states

2. Coverage options vary by company and their are many factors: age of RV, type of RV, original owner or not, driving record, location and claims from your area you live to name a few.
Examples of Options: Full Timers coverage, Full Replacement coverage, Agreed Value coverage, Current Value coverage, Storage option, diminishing deductible, Vacation Liability, Road Service and more.

3. Service from the carrier is the most important, this I found very useful on the "search" and sites like RipOff.com, other review sites. Some companies have great reviews on service and others have not so good reviews. Call as many of the RV dealers up to 200 miles in your area and ask which insurance companies are good to work with and who is not.

4. Do your research, ask questions, request policy coverage terms prior to making a decision and read them - just because someone says your covered for something doesn't mean you are - if it's not in writing it's not covered OR maybe it's excluded.
Example: I asked a question about a coverage item, I was "told" I was covered for that - I asked for it in writing - after the agent researched they concluded I was not covered for what I questioned. I watch the TV show "American Greed" and one company was selling policies like one aired on the show. They sold a policy with great coverage, but as you read the policy what you are paying for is excluded. It's "your" responsibility to do "your" research and remember "it's your money".

I'm not eligible for Replacement Coverage be you must insure your RV within 13 months of original purchase of the new RV (I just learned about this coverage) therefore I was not eligible for this coverage.

It does not matter the company I choose, but I did choose where I have a local agent I can speak with at any time; that's important to me. The best coverage for me was this for $450 a year:

Comprehensive: 1000 Deductible
Collision: 1000 Deductible
Diminishing Deductible: YES (25% each year without a claim)
Agreed Value: YES
Personal Effects: 3000 ($100 deductible)
RV Vacation Liability: 500,000
Road Service: YES

Unless I missed it, you didn't say what company you went with. Everyone has their preferences based on ?? but I can tell you that after 30+ years with State Farm, and their love for removing coverages/escalating rates/etc. and leaving you in a lurch.....I stopped, and won't do, business with them - 4 homes, 4 cars, RV, umbrella, life, etc. They are too shady for me. Geico has been super and I am so happy I switched. Having had "local" agents for decades I can say they are actually useless IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote