View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've got a 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS which is very close to what you have (you didn't mention the year). We spent last night in it and it got down to 24 with the temp set at 71 and it kept up fine. It cycled on and off normally. I don't know how long between cycles because.....I was asleep! We have a 35k btu furnace.

Coming from a cold state; about as cold as it gets when we are using it is if I set the temp to 53 and then push it up to 70. The blower comes on for a few seconds to clear the ducts/furnace I guess and then the burner comes on and stays until it reaches temp, then shuts off with a little pop. If it has been vacated for quite a while and everything has been shut off the furnace comes on the same, just runs longer. We don't use supplemental heat currently because I'm running off 120vac/20amp from a plug here at my house (staying in it while the house is full for the holidays). If I stayed in 20 degree weather a lot, or for an extended period, I would use the fireplace which puts out quite a lot of heat.

The remark you made about the burner cycling on and off worries me. Mine did that on our first trip in colder weather then quit working. Took it to the shop under warranty and they said it was OK. Well, this morning, at 24degrees and snowing, it quit again. It tried to fire up, burner ignited, ran a bit then quit. Did it 4 times this morning and then nothing. I had replaced one of the propane bottles yesterday so it might have been something to do with the regulator and pressure. I turned the directional valve very slowly from one tank back to the other. I then had to open the furnace from outside and remove the power from the control board so that it would work. The control board has an LED that flashes if there is a problem. Mine was showing an ignition lockout fault (3 flashes then a 3 second pause) and wasn't going to work until it was reset. All that said just in case you hit the same issue. Mine is an Atwood unit.

Good luck and stay warm.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote