View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #63
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJQ View Post
Both of you are doing a great job documenting your solar install. Here is one item others might consider. A manual cable crimper from Amazon. As one of you pointed out, trying to figure out the battery cable length in advance is a challenge. So, I decided on making my own cables as Mike did. Here is the link for the crimper.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought mine a month ago for crimping 1 AWG cables. It works great. I cam with a cable cutter which also works great. I will be revising some of the Keystone 6 AWG wiring and it covers it just fine.

I bought my wire from http://acdcwire.com/ . It is welding cable and great quality at much lower cost than I foound elsewhere. I calculate my wire length at 5 feet and then ordered 6 feet. I had 3 inches of red left over and no black. So much for my calculations. I also ordered the lugs from them.

I also forgot to order some additional wire to connect my two 6 volt batteries. It needs to be upgraded from the No. 6 AWG to 1 AWG.

Keep up the good documentation. I am done but have not updateded my thread. I just finished a 5 day trip and all works well.

Thanks. It's my way of paying back. I've learned a lot from reading other people's threads. I'm glad my installation experience will help others with the same or similar project.

I went with the hydraulic because I thought it might fit into tighter locations and because I thought I could get tighter crimps rather than using my muscle power on the "manual" crimpers. Too often I got bad crimps using the hand squeezer method.

Speaking of which, I have to go back and finish up my other thread where I got a false Hot/Gnd electrical cross error light. Turned out to be a loose (read: disconnected) Neutral. What a pain that repair was. But the repair brought 4 outlets back to life and provided electricity so I can add an outlet in the slideout where there is presently no outlet.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote