Thread: Chevy 3500
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post
You guys are great. Thank you. I haven’t actually picked up the new trailer or towed with it yet. I will be pretty near maxed out by the numbers, but it should be possible to stay within range.

Truck gross is 6900.
Trailer gross is 7200.
Combined rating is 13,800.

I know I’ll be close, but I think we will technically be ok with some planning and a couple trips to the weigh scales. We won’t have anything that has to be in the bed of the truck.

Do you guys have any real world weights of your trailer contents that you can share? I can’t imagine actually packing 1200 lb of stuff. Battery and propane are heavy, sure. So is water, but we won’t usually (ever?) need a full tank on the road. I know things add up fast though.

The 1200 I posted above was accurate/scaled. Obviously it varied at times (are we carrying the dehumidifier? About 50lbs. etc.) It all depends on how you camp, where you camp etc. I carry a bbq grill, blackstone flattop, 2 air compressors, 2 8 ton bottle jacks, spare LP tank (5 gal). What about the induction cookers, magma nesting cookware, slow cooker, pressure cooker.....the list is long. Or, you can take a coleman stove, a sauce pan and skillet and be done with it. LOTS of things to consider along with this; you can go with the sauce pan and skillet, but, I can assure you the more you go and the longer you stay....the longer the list is of what will be in your trailer so be forewarned. My goal was, and is, to always stay "comfortably" under the payload/gvw of the truck. With my last trailer (bigger than yours) I could not do that with a 1/2 ton without leaving too many things behind so I didn't. Made one trip with what we wanted in the trailer and truck and went to FL. Immediately upon return (within the month) I had a new 3/4 ton - wasn't "too" bad fully loaded with a 1/2 ton (airbags, bilsteins, LT tires) but not great. More than anything I couldn't deal with driving overloaded mentally - it made me completely paranoid every mile of the trip and worrying about what could happen to us or someone else. The 3/4 fixed that and I smiled every mile I towed with it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote