Thread: Staying warm
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
On the Job

1. I have only and would only use this as supplemental heat during the day when I was there working, going in and out, etc to give the propane furnace (and propane levels) a break.

2. I would never use this or ANY other external heat source, be it kerosene, electric, firewood, pellet, etc while I was sleeping or when I was not there to monitor it. I would assume that is a given? Does anyone here trust to have even an electric heater plugged into an outlet while they don't have an eye on it, let alone sleep soundly? Not me. Let the furnace do it's job when you aren't there or sleeping.

3. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. I just replaced mine that was expired - more than 10 years old. I keep 3 fire extinguishers inside and one outside of the RV - and not the tiny ones but 4 pounders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When I was stationed in Korea, this and charcoal fire pits were the typical "home heating systems". Every year there were hundreds of families that died from carbon monoxide poisoning while using this type of heater. Even with a "mechanical safety device" that shuts off the heater if CO levels rise, do you want to trust your life to such a device?

In a small area like an RV, there's limited oxygen and it's easy for CO levels to rise to dangerous concentrations. I wouldn't suggest using any kerosene heater in a closed area, especially for "overnight use". That's a very RISKY way to go to sleep and not wake up.
On the Job is offline   Reply With Quote