Thread: Roof Insulation
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #9
Fourbtgait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
R, since the trailer is new to you, use it for a year to see how it performs. Then give your idea a try.

If it works, great. If it doesnt, no big. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Chick and John posted the potential down sides. To my knowledge, no o e else on the forum has done this mod.
It is not the first travel trailer I have owned in my life. Just one of many including p/u camper, 5th wheels, living quarter gooseneck, Benroy I built along with a cargo trailer fully outfitted with heat, running h/c water. I was simply curious if any one had for the fact pointed out before that the true R value is below what manufactures state. We boondock, don’t use generators.
I also realize as pointed out what is the cost vs gain factor. The same applies to doing insulation, window, etc upgrades in houses. I am a project manager building houses. Which brings up the point of the comment of vented roofs in trailers.
As pointed out, “low cost” trailers like I own probably don’t vent roofs. True, I learned something there. Namely there is such a thing as roof vents for trailers, found them with google.
Problem with them is, are you really venting the roof? Without edge venting you have to increase the number of square inches of vent per square foot of roof area if you truly want to lower the trapped heat and moisture vapor in the roof system. But that square inch of venting would need increased because the screen used in vents technically reduces that vents capacity. To technical? Not really. One square foot of vent covered with 1/4” hardware cloth is only .75 square foot now. Decrease screen size, it drops even more.

Enough rambling on my part, take care, happy camping.
Fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote