View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The discussion on finding "good beef" reminds me of what I used to tell my patients about hot dogs (and sausage in general). You have NO IDEA what's in a hot dog... If you think about it, take a pound of hamburger, put it in the bottom of your refrigerator overnight and it will be brown on the surface the next morning. Do that with a hot dog and it will stay "pink and pretty" for weeks on end without turning brown or green... Why? It's the way hot dogs are processed. Grind up the "innerds", bleach them white, then add red food coloring until it's the right shade of pink, push that pink slime into a pink, edible tube, run it all through a steamer, then "vacuum pack" and put it on the store shelf with an expiration date 3 or 4 months out......

Hot dogs can "literally rot in their skin" and still be "pretty pink and looking good"... It's the same with bratwurst, smoked sausage, most anything that comes in a tube and is "mass produced".

Much of today's beef, pork and chicken are mass produced, prepared with chemicals that "retard spoilage" and don't turn to "slime" as fast as fresh meat. Around here, if you can find a farmer with a small herd, contract for a side of beef in the fall (when butchering) and take that to a "known good local butcher" for processing. It may cost a bit more, but at least you get meat, not the "stuff" at WalMart or Kroger's.

That said, not much is "nastier" than ordering chicken in England, where on the first bite, it tastes like fish.... It may have changed since we were last in England, but at that time, they feed their chickens "fish meal" and the meat takes on that "familiar fish flavor/smell"... "Golden Perdue chicken" around here has that "goldenrod flavor" presumably from what they're fed.

The last "good chicken" I had was from a local butcher that gets his chickens from a local farmer who "puts them off the ground for 2 weeks before processing them so they don't keep eating "what's on the ground in every chicken coup"....

I guess there is some truth to the old saying, "You are what you eat".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote