View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
People might keep in mind that every single ounce of beef you buy from Walmart is shot full of salt water. Time was only hams and chicken/turkey were treated that way.
Usually when we get to our extended destination one of the first things we look for is a butcher shop.

I'm not sure what Walmart does to all their meat. First time I tried it, hamburger years ago in Alamogordo, NM, I thought they had mixed it with sawdust; it was absolutely terrible. Looked at the package and it said it came from CA if I recall correctly.

Tried one of their brands of chickens....I've never seen a 9lb. dressed chicken and it looked, felt and tasted like it was full of "something". Then there's the ham slices. We like the big bone in ham slices. In W TX we buy Wright's or Cooks. They have Smithfield but I don't like their flavor. The Walmart Sam's Choice ham slices made me gag. They must take those and immerse them in a vat of vinegar for a week then put it and the vinegar in the bag - terrible. Could go on but you get the drift.

Our Sam's has a butcher shop in it (do all of them? I don't know) and they use good cuts of meat. I've even had them go in and cut me steaks to a thickness I like. I was surprised.

I guess trying to find food you like while on the road is just part of it. Of course DW has said it is time to go back....she is "dying" for Mexican food. Out here the best Mexican food is just not much good. I told her I would fix her up a mess and she told me no; she wants to just go and sit at Rosa's Cantina and soak up the smell or Acevedo's and have some real enchiladas. We'll be leaving the 31st and have who knows what in Hattiesburg for 2 days, catfish in Shreveport and steak in Abilene - then on to enchiladas, tacos and breakfast burritos!!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote