View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022, 07:09 PM   #3
RJS3791RD

I just purchased a 2022 F350 DRW diesel. I’ve been shopping for six months. I had considered RAM, GM and Ford. I looked at ordering, I looked at new, I looked at less than three years old and I looked at 3 to 5 years old.

The medium truck market is a mess right now. In my 40 years of working in the franchised automotive industry, I have never seen anything like this. Supply is very limited and demand is strong. Between the commercial buyers (construction, Municipal government and the like) as well as the strong private buyers, demand remains robust.

Used values are at an all time high. “Local Market adjustments” (dealer add on margin) for new are ridiculous. I don’t believe it will get any better in 2023 and we may see relief in 2024 but that remains to be seen.

Prices are not going to go down. The increases will simply slow down.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy used right now. I think the “value proposition” on used ( 1 to 5 years old) is non existent.

I wouldn’t order a new one, unless you can wait indefinitely for delivery. No one can tell you any type of reasonable expectation for when you will actually receive an ordered vehicle. Ford buyers have had Super Duty on order for 12+ months and are now just receiving their 2022. Some who ordered 2022 are being pushed over to 2023.

There are dealers out there that are not gouging their customers. I found one and bought new at MSRP. I have NEVER in my life paid MSRP for a vehicle, until now. I refuse to pay over MSRP.

If you have any thought that you will be selling this truck at some point in time, I would suggest looking at the residual value difference between gas and diesel. There is Avery real difference in resale value

Good luck!
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote