Thread: Payload dilemma
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

My first thought is where the weight numbers came from? 2400 pin would be about 20% of the dry weight. Just loading with minimal equipment (doubtful anyone would carry that little in a trailer that size) I don't see how the pin weight will be less than 3k. Depending on how I load my pin runs 21-23%. Guess I could get to 20% if I emptied the front pass thru but then why go anywhere?

So let's figure 3k plus the additional 1250 you said you carry (I suspect that is very conservative figuring 40gal. of diesel and the tank it requires) and we're at 4250. Your payload is 3074. Let's just say 1250 over payload. Payload is GVW minus the weight of the truck so you are now 1250 over payload AND the GVW of the truck.

It "pulls" it OK and you haven't had a problem....yet. I, you nor anyone on this forum knows what tolerances which piece parts in the suspension were built to. Will that little "abc" flex 10 times with an additional 1250lbs. on it? 5 times...100 times? Who knows. Just think about all the spring hangers on RVs that break over time (example came to my head) because they aren't built for the rigors of what folks put them through. Now think of a major suspension component failing on your truck....at 65mph.....with shoulder to shoulder traffic..... Won't be pretty and how it turns out will simply be a matter of what the maker had in store for you and yours - a decision you made by choosing to overload and drive in an unsafe manner IMO.

Do folks do it all the time? Heavens knows they do. Are they "smart", know something everyone else doesn't etc.? No. They are risk takers; gamblers; folks that have no respect for themselves or others around them - I've got one in my family.

Then, the elephant in the room, exactly what Marshall talked about. You WILL be overloaded and you will be at fault no matter the situation. Think of the guy that backs out in front of you and you whack him. He backed out while you were coming down the street and shouldn't have but YOU will be cited; same goes for towing far beyond the published/established limits of your truck. With all the ways they have now of putting an accident scene back together I have no doubt they will know you were overweight....and if it was an equipment malfunction...my future, and my wife's future mean a WHOLE lot more to me than trying to gamble or cheat.

As a final note, I looked at the 368MBI prior to buying this truck and trailer because DW liked the middle room (I do not). A primary reason for not getting it was due to its weight and the payload available on my 3/4 ton, which was 100lbs. more than yours. Get a bigger truck and take care of you, your wife and others; it's a price we all pay (or should) to play the RV game. JMO
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote