View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
With a gas F350 and your current trailer, you won't have any payload issues. Consider that your current payload of around 1700 pounds will be doubled in almost any F350 regardless of the "upgrade packages added to the base XL".

Most gas powered F350's, even the Lariat or Platinum models, will have around 3000-3500 pound payload capacity.

The options on the XLT are "limited in weight" even if you order the XLT Premium Package or the XLT Value Package and 4 wheel drive. I'd urge you to go shopping, possibly not in your local area (based on your comment about all the "bed delete trucks".... Ford F350's are not "be careful or they might become F150's with too many options added to them" type vehicles....

I'd venture to suggest that even an F350 Ultimate or Limited with the 7.3L gas engine would do well towing a 32' trailer (with appropriate WD hitch with 4 point sway control). Where you get into the "pick and choose" situation is when you're trying to "tailor an order to a specific trailer that's going to put that truck on the verge of being too small." That becomes a concern when you're reaching the 15 K or 16 K fifth wheel RV's, not an "under 10K travel trailer"...

Do your "due diligence" but don't get too far "into the weeds with worry" until you've had an opportunity to walk around a "new truck lot" peeking at those yellow stickers and comparing trim levels and options on each of those trucks... While there is some "payload impact", few, if any, of the trim level packages will cause an F350 to be an "incapable tower of a 10K travel trailer"....
I don't see us getting any higher trim than the XLT because, unfortunately, cost is still a factor and I can't invest $70k+ on a TV right now. But if I could land in the neighborhood of at least 3,000 lbs payload I'd be happy.

The wife and I also don't forsee upgrading to a larger trailer in the future, either. Once the kids are older and we don't need the bunk beds anymore we'd probably prefer to downgrade but...just because we say that now doesn't mean we'll feel the same way 10 years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Nope, to my knowledge, RAM is the only manufacturer that has the "VIN lookup" available to the public.
That stinks. That would have been an invaluable tool to help get an idea of payload capacities without having to find a dealership and walk the lot (which is probably why Ford doesn't put the info out there).

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote