View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #5
dalamarjj78

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I was in the same situation as you. 33' trailer, 9500 lb GVWR and purchased a 1/2 ton max tow F150 with 1873 lbs of payload to tow it with. A year ago we upgraded to a 2019 F350, SRW, 6.75' bed (160" wb), 4.30 gears, but with the then only gas option 6.2 liter.

1. I think the 160" wb will suit you just fine, but keep in mind I have never owned a longbed. I would guess it depends on how large a trailer you will ultimately end up with should you decided to upgrade....although plenty of people tow even 5'vers with the 6.75 'shortbed' 1-ton. I can't believe you'd have much of a difference in stability with any travel trailer between the short and long.

2. I found my truck on the lot - a special order that was never picked up - and it happened to be ordered with 4.30s. It's my understanding that the 4.30s will get a heavy load going easier as the shift points are different. Don't know how much better than 3.73s - especially with something under 10k.

3. The F350 - with any engine will pull your TT with ease. Gas mileage is going to be a lot different than the F150...lol. We get about 12.5 mpg when not towing, and anywhere from 7-9 when towing, depending on terrain, wind etc. Also, ensure you look at the payload door sticker if you happen to find a candidate on the lot, some are ordered with the payload derate 'option', which lowers the truck's GVWR (and hence payload), likely to avoid potential higher registration costs at the local DMV. If ordering, ensure you don't add this option.
Thanks for the input. The GVW of my trailer is under 10k lbs so it sounds like upgrading the rear axle ratio would be overkill. Also, I didn't realize there was an "option" to reduce payload - definitely not something I'd be interested in adding on.

There doesn't seem to be much inventory on local lots in my area. Most F-350's in my area have the pickup bed delete and have been converted to work trucks so I'm guessing I'll have to special order when I'm ready to buy. So I'll have to make sure that's not an option that's added on once the order is placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Couple thoughts... don't get mired in "paralysis by analysis". There have been members who went through this and every detail of buying a truck required so much attention to detail that they got lost in the detail. The F350 of any wheelbase is fine for a 32' trailer. The 8 ft bed gives you more room in the bed. I would also say that the 7.3L is a first year engine with no history to speak of. What folks will be saying about it 5 years from now would be helpful but you don't have that crystal ball so know that most first year engines have some teething issues. My sister & BIL have a Class C with that engine and it ran impressively from Tenn. to TX where they are moving. They did have a CEL come on during the trip that had to do with some safety system I really didn't understand. It went away and never reappeared. Last, the lower the level of the truck the better payload you will have. Diesels, 4x4, King Ranch, Platinum etc are all payload eaters. Decide how you will use the truck and if the frills are something you need, go for it and if not, the XL model will give you the best payload and no more muddy carpets.
Very good points, thanks! I feel like I'm getting caught up in the details because when I bought my F-150 I didn't fully understand towing requirements for a TT and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I also didn't realize the 7.3L engines were so new so I'll revisit the idea of sticking with the standard 6.2L engine. I'll also revisit the XL trim instead of the XLT. While the XLT does have a few "bells and whistles" that would be nice (like blind spot monitoring) it's definitely something I can live without since payload is far more important. As long as it has a backup camera (which my current F-150 doesn't have) then I'll be happy.

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote