View Single Post
Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
dalamarjj78

Tow Vehicle Question

I currently pull a 2021 Keystone Bullet 273BHS (overall length of 32 ft) with a F-150 XLT (5L V8) and, while our weights are good, the overall towing experience isn't great, especially on windy days. We recently upgraded our WDH to an equalizer which helped a lot but I've come to accept the fact that we need more truck.

We've had to stick with camping at nearby campgrounds where we can easily access them without having to drive on the interstate since there's too much tail wag in wide open spaces and when big rigs pass us.

I've been using the "Build and Price" features on the various major car manufacturer's websites and am leaning towards a 2021 Ford F-350 XLT SRW and upgrading to the 7.3L V-8 engine.

But I a few questions I was hoping to get some input on as I haven't owned a truck very long.

1. Wheelbase - the short bed pickup has a wheelbase of 160" while the long bed is 176". I read that the first 110" of wheelbase covers a 20' trailer and every 4" of wheelbase beyond that adds another foot to the trailer. So based on those general guidelines 160" would cover a 32.5 ft trailer. While the long bed would cover a 34 ft trailer.

While the price between the two is similar, I really don't like the look of the long bed trucks. So would the short bed still be enough to handle the length of our trailer? The last thing I want to happen is to invest this much money in a truck and find out it still doesn't handle the length of our trailer much better than the F150 we have now (which has a wheelbase of 145").

2. Rear Axle Ratios - the standard rear axle ratio is 3.73. Would it be worth upgrading to the 4.30 or is 3.73 enough? Any pros and cons that should be worth keeping in mind?

3. F-350 - is there anything else I should be aware of regarding F-350's in general or Ford's 7.3L V-8 engines? I don't buy into the whole Ford vs Chevy vs Ram conversation; I just want the best truck for my money that can safely tow my trailer while keeping my family (and others around us) safe.

I assume that upgrading from an F-150 to a F-350 will result in a massive improvement when towing our trailer. I just want to cover all our bases and avoid an, "Oh crap" moment from finding out we went with the wrong configuration and having it be too late to correct it.

Thanks!

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote