View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lockwood View Post
Thanks all for the sharing of your experiences.

I heard something Thursday that your vehicle doesn't know the difference between DEF and WATER.

I'm sure there's some truth to that, but I don't totally believe the guy. He has a class A and has been running water instead of DEF without any issues.

With DEF cheap as it is and the long time between refills, it seems kind of weird to even try something like that, especially if a warranty is involved.

Thanks again for all the comments. ��
BS - he may have added some water to his system, but the the engine sensors will continue to increase the injection rate until chemical cleaning is not happening and the computer will throw the truck into "limp home" mode with an ultimate shut-down. As others have noted, DEF has a high percentage of water, but you're playing with fire to save pennies!

The manufacturers are forced by the EPA to take this seriously. If you fiddle much with the system and contaminate it, it might lead to a complete breakdown of the fuel injection system - replacement will be $10-15K! I'm sure we will get all sorts of comments about "delete's" and "jail breaking" the systems; my question is "Why"? With 440 HP and 961 pound-feet of torque, my DRW is magnificent just as it is.

Just use the DEF - it's cheap & easy and keeps your truck legal.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote