Thread: Bad idea?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #22
janders

Thanks for a helpful response. What we ended up doing was bringing the trailer home with my parents' F-350, which gave us time to find a more suitable truck. We needed/liked this particular floorplan for the sleeping and place space for our kids. It sort of hit a sweet spot for us based on price, layout, features, etc. A 5th wheel or larger TT wasn't anything we were interested in.

We were able to trade up to a Ram 2500 6.4, which gave us 3099 lb of payload (up from 1349) and a 19,800 gcwr (up from 13,000). I have a WDH + sway bar that I had them set up for me, and yes, I did buy the longer drop shank for this truck so everything actually sits level. I can't believe how tall the 2500 is.

We just got back from about a 250 mile round trip to Branson, and I was very pleased with how well the truck handled. This setup handled better than my 1500 with a shorter, lighter trailer. Less sway, less bounce, less stress. The Ozarks certainly aren't the Rockies, but there are some decent hills to pull. I stopped at the cat scale on the way home just to see where we were at. I still have some questions about ensuring even loading and weighing the trailer, but I felt very confident with this truck/trailer combo. Thank you for your input!
janders is offline   Reply With Quote