View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #21
rodgebone

My two cents...Obviously, I have the 291UBH behind a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L 4x4 crew short bed with factory tow pkg, LTs, airbags and 4-pt Equalizer WDH. When I bought my truck I didn’t know I was going to be towing and didn’t have the option of upgrading. So when shopping for the trailer I did the math (in depth) and went with the biggest wrig my TV would pull by the numbers (I'm going to spare you all the math because everyone’s setup is different and Chevy vs RAM is apples to oranges) but here is a VERY good link to towing math:

https://5thgenrams.com/community/thr...-to-know.4819/. While this guide is in a RAM forum it applies to all makes & I think most here will agree this covers the numbers to consider.

It's just me and my dog 99% of the time and next to no TV cargo capacity use. I weighed every bit of trailer cargo (including full water tanks, battery upgrades, food, etc) as well as every option/upgrade on the RAM and found myself just under the limits - one year later with extra added gear, I'm probably 2-300 pounds over the 8100 gvwr although I've yet to hit the scales to confirm it. As far as towing, the RAM has plenty of engine and braking power and is very stable (no "white knuckles") as long as the airbags and tire pressures are set correctly as evidenced after 7000 miles through 11 western states in all kinds of terrain/weather. Wind affects everyone and I'm no different - I avoid travelling if it gets above 25-30mph. If I were to do it again I would go with the RAM 2500 but generally this setup works much better than I thought and I see no need to upgrade at this point aside from LTs and Bilsteins. Will also be getting a trailer TPSM system and losing the china bomb Trailer Kings next year although (knock on wood) I've had no issues to date.

Having said all this I will acknowledge I am right at the limits safety-wise. But it works nicely so guess I got very lucky with my setup and that makes me a fence sitter on the 1/2 ton vs 3/4 or 1 ton TV debate. Just sharing my personal experience with this particular trailer – hope it gives you some insight.