View Single Post
Old 09-05-2020, 06:33 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I've towed two fifth wheels with the Ford "short bed" SuperDuty, one with a "flat front cap" and one with the "max turn front cap". In nearly 40,000 miles of towing, I've never encountered a situation where I "needed a sliding hitch"... I will say that there have been many situations where I might have "used it if I had it", but I've never had a situation where I "had to have one or I'd hit the cab"....

Much of that is what I call "situational awareness"... In other words, I don't "blindly start something I don't know if I can finish"... I know my truck/trailer limitations, get out and look, and if I think it's not going to work, I don't start the maneuver wondering if I can get into/out of the situation....

Several things to consider:

1. Sliding hitches are significantly heavier than fixed hitches. You're going to be taking the hitch in/out of your truck bed. How often you have to move it will be a factor in your decision on which type of hitch you can best use.

2. Travel trailers are limited to about 40-45 degrees of turn capability. Any further and you'll either bend the trailer A-frame or hit the tow vehicle tail lights. Fifth wheels, regardless of bed length (in a SuperDuty) can attain significantly more turn capability than any travel trailer, so you'll have increased turn capacity with a fifth wheel over any travel trailer you've ever towed. In other words, with a travel trailer, you can "contact the truck" just as easily as you can with a fifth wheel, so much of the "Oh no, you need..." is hype for anyone who is currently towing a travel trailer and has or has not ever "hit the front of their trailer/truck tail lights in a backing maneuver... It can happen with any truck/trailer combination if you "turn too sharp"... Even with a sliding hitch, you can crush the side of your bed if you back sharper than about 95 degrees.....

3. It's easier than you might imagine to damage the trailer suspension/wheels/tires by turning too sharply with any trailer. Travel trailers limit the max capacity to about 40 degrees, typically a safe turn angle for the suspension. Fifth wheels can attain about 80 degrees or a bit more with a fixed hitch/short bed Superduty (the longest of the short bed models compared to GM/RAM). That angle is "at the edge" or maybe "in excess of safe backing angles" for the trailer components. With a sliding hitch, it's much easier to "get into a situation where you can destroy the trailer suspension at the expense of saving your truck rear window"...

I'm not suggesting that you should NOT buy a sliding hitch, some people "really, REALLY need one" while others, based on situational awareness and how they operate their rig, will never use a sliding hitch. Based on your towing experience towing a travel trailer, you'll have significantly more "turn capacity" with any fifth wheel, sliding hitch or fixed hitch... How much "more you want or need" is the question to ask.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote