View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #14
penra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Denali includes Z-71 and mandatory 4wd. I would recommend at least a 2017 model year as that is when they switched to the L5P with 910 lb-ft torque (and you get the hood scoop! lol).

My truck was only like $5k more brand new vs CarMax options with 40k miles on them. As noted, the 2500HD Diesel just does not have enough payload frankly. Attached is the door sticker on mine. As you can see, 2144# payload is not a lot. I can load my family, tools, and carry a trailer like yours, but that will literally put me at the GVWR of my truck (10000#). If you have the chance to get a truck and are not already tied down to one, GET THE 3500! Will ride pretty much the same, cost pretty much the same, but have nearly double the payload. Your rims wont be as pretty, literally other than that you wont be able to tell the difference, but you will be safer. My Denali had about 400# less payload than the "brochure" value for a crew cab, standard bed, diesel (meaning stripped down work truck trim). You cannot trust the online guide GMC/Chevy provides.

Now something else to consider.....a MY 2013-2019 Sierra HD truck represents a snapshot of 2012 vehicle technology (except for the engine). This summer, the new gen 2020s will be out with a bunch of awesome tech I REALLY wish my 2018 (but essentially a 2013) had. The timing may not line up, but you could end up with a truck that wont have you looking over the fence every time you drive by a dealer for the next several years.
Thanks for that good info! I've been eyeing the 2020 specs and features. I hadn't considered what several have mentioned about lower payload on the 2500 Diesel, I guess with heavier engine, transmission etc that makes good sense. I had been thinking 3500 because prices are not that different.
penra is offline   Reply With Quote