View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #20
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Puck system

I've watched 2 videos of adding a 5 puck system to a truck that did not have it installed at the factory. In 1 video they lifted the entire bed up about a foot off the frame. In the other video, removed the box bolt downs entirely on one side and loosened them on the other side in order to block the bed up with some 2x4s.

Has anyone added a puck system to their truck, and if so and you don't mind, what did that cost? The above videos would make me think it's an expensive undertaking, and then there's still the 5er hitch to buy.

Thanks for your thoughts
Mike
Cant speak to a Chevy or Ford install, but I did my own install in the last two Ram trucks I've owned (a 2015 2500, and a 2017 3500). Its not hard to do, if you have basic mechanic skills and patience. The 2500 was easier, as the pucks are held in place by plates which bolt to the frame from either side, on the rear and the puck flanges bolt to the frame in the front (one side is more challenging due to the placement of the fuel tank), and the bed does NOT need to be lifted up or off.

On the 3500, the bed has to be lifted about 5 inches on either side, as the pucks drop into bosses which are welded to the frame, otherwise is really no more difficult than the 2500 install.

The most challenging/tedious part is measuring and drilling the holes in the bed. I have a writeup i did on another forum, which lays out the way I did it, following the manufacturers directions, but also using a template, and it works great. In fact, another member on the other forum thanked me for my ideas, as he was able to get his holes generally dead center.

Its my understanding for Ford, the pucks are in a frame which sits between the bed and truck frame, necessitating the lifting of the ENTIER bed at once.

I do not know how the Chevy/GM pucks are installed/attached.
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote