View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #25
FlyingChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
I'm not sure I understand all the attached post on this. I inquired about this myself within the last couple of years here in CA. Yes front desk at DMV does not seem to be sure of things. I have a pamphlet here at the house, Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook", DMV State of California. Page 11 is titled "Recreational Trailer Endorsement".

"A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

. There are no fees unless your license expires within six months.
. You will take a law test for noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
. You are NOT required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
. You are NOT required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
. No other test are required.

If anyone has anything different please advise. THX Homer
You're right. Until your 5er has a GVWR over 15k. That's when the 'endorsement' isn't enough and you have to go get the NonCommercial Class A license. That's also explained in the Trailer and Housecar booklet. The Non-Commercial A requires knowledge test, Health Questionnaire, and Driving Test.
FlyingChief is offline   Reply With Quote