View Single Post
Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Wes Tausend

I like the 6.0L because, along with the smaller displacement like the 5.9L Cummins, it has more factory power than the 7.3L. Because of the conservative-displacement fuel economy potential and grey reputation, I did a lot of research. With the EGR plug-up problem fixed, they are top notch performers. Some of the most practical advice I ran into is to add a coolant filter to one of the heater hose lines and clean it often.

Some folks feel that casting sand remains in some new engine block cores, and if so, it can plug the fine-screened EGR and start an expensive downhill process. Something does frequently plug the EGR in every catastrophic failure when they happen. So if you decide to chance no extravagant upgrade$, this is a great way to add insurance at low cost. The coolant filter is recommended for all vehicles actually, but stock on very few.

Scale debris is usually responsible for heater core underperformance and I know this because I have gotten close to 1/2 pound of rust scale just by flushing the core with a garden hose, on used rigs I bought. Enough sediment remained one time, I had to do it again 6 months later to get heat. Much of the scale can be avoided if folks would just remember to replace coolant once every three years. The additives do wear out, even if the aging glycol never freezes. Ford, and Ram, have an additive that should be added between coolant replacements.

I avoided buying a really nice 6.0L that went for $17k and paid nearly that for an earlier, stinky 7.3L, which has no EGR. The 7.3L also has less power, less than the V10 6.8L gasser from the same era as a matter of fact. With so many cubic inches, and subsequent low engine loading, the 7.3L fuel economy is nothing to brag about. It is slightly better than the V10 of the same year, and I know because I own and tow with both.

I say keep the truck, filter it, and enjoy better durability, fuel economy and power than most diesels.

I'll probably be driving my gasser to save money this year. While gas dropped below $3 in ND, fuel went from $3.79 to $3.99, and now $4.09. Geez. Like my buddy said, "We're getting fracked in ND"!

Wish you best of luck, Richard.

Wes
2019 Leprechaun 311FS
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote