View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #22
DiverB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I see you have water/meth injection. That's something I'm considering to lower EGT for those big pulls. Does the Banks system work well? Definitely Cummins Fleetguard filters for me.
I too drive by the EGT gauge when towing. The BANKS system works very well, but its important to note the claim that using water-methanol can lower EGTs. Remember that methanol is a fuel, and as such it contributes to the cylinder pressure when burned. One of the byproducts of the combustion process is HEAT. This is ALWAYS the case! Using a 50/50 mix of water-methanol will result in an increase of EGT, plain and simple. Using lower blends, such as 75(water)/25(methanol), you may find a balance point for your particular application where the water cooling and the methanol burning balance in such a way as to net an equal EGT with a moderate increase in power.

I like the BANKS system since you can dial in the injection point for EGT's or boost. I have mine set at 1100 and it will raise the EGT's a little more, but then it will bring the EGT's back down to where it was when it activated, and by that time I've already crested the hill and my EGT's rarely see anything over 1250. Since my truck does not have all the emission BS and I have a larger intake horn, and Intercooler my truck actually runs pretty cool. 580-620 without towing and 850-975 while towing, unless I'm pulling a heavy grade.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote