View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 02:39 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Been reading more on these and the injector problems in the early dmax. I stand corrected, the info I found points more towards water than air in the fuel. Basically blaming poor filter design along with higher pressure systems allowing water to get through the filter. There is some info out there that contributes air as a problem as well. It basically states that older systems used to operate at roughly 3,000 psi, newer systems operate at 45,000 and higher. When a microscopic size air bubble makes it to the injector, it will close under pressure basically slamming just vs closing on a lubricated cushion of fuel. The low sulfur gets some blame as well as it does not lubricate the systems as well. I've found articles saying use additives, others saying don't. Articles saying the GM and Isuzu have fixed the problems with the injectors, other saying they haven't, some saying lift pumps & 2 micron filters are the way to go and of course, others saying not needed. I've only put 50,000 miles on my dmax engines, so I haven't experienced any problems. I can see how a better 2 micron filter can help, better is always better right? The question is just how much and is it worth the cost? I guess I'll put it on the wish list and add it when I have nothing better to do with all of the extra money I have just laying around

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote