Thread: Fire Safety
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
There's a lot of "misunderstanding" around "automatic fire suppression". Many people may see a hood over a grill in a restaurant and call it a "Halon" because it was popular pre 1994 when it was banned due to ozone depleting studies.

Ansul systems are the most common automatic fire suppression after the basic "water sprinkler" systems that are found nearly everywhere. Tha ansul systems are used where water isn't preferred like grease cooking, manufacturer storage of magnesium, or where the water damage could cause other issues like computer rooms, data storage,or other areas where electronics are at risk. The ansul systems are typically designed with the use between several available suppression agents depending on the design criteria.
Yep, Halon went the way of freon. I retired in 1989 and the systems I described in my previous post were installed around 1980 or 1981 (?) and removed from service in around 1985 or 1986 if I remember correctly. Actually, I think they were "disarmed" in 85-86, pending contractor modifications to make them safe to use (which was never done) and finally removed after I retired, probably in 1990-1992 (when the base was deactivated and all "high dollar items" were removed from the buildings) before the base was turned over to the local community.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote