View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 05:24 AM   #55
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
About half the posts on the last 2 pages have touted using truck tires. If you really want to save some money buy a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paws at Walmart. Think they have them for about $29 each. I bet they work as well as the LT tires everyone seems to be enamored with. I often wonder why trailer specific tires were ever designed and sold (aka ST).
Just about all tire information refers to tires by size. It's a problem for the laymen because the regulations refer to them by their proper nomenclature, designated size. You can do a web search and get a listing of designated sizes.

Because the regulations direct the vehicle manufacturer to describe the OEM tires by designated size, their fitment is certified that way. Because FMVSS are minimum standards it makes the OE tires - by designated size - a minimum standard. Therefore, It's a misapplication to substitute one designated size for another, without the vehicle manufacturers approval as being an option.

Original Equipment tires described on the vehicle certification label are the minimum standard used for all subsequent replacements. Depending on who writes it the industry standard goes like this. "Replacement tires MUST provide a load capacity equal to or greater than what the OE tires provided."

I always get backlash for this sort of post. It's how its supposed to be done. There are very few regulations/standards enforced upon the consumer. The way things are supposed to be done protects the field. There are numerous references to draw from that describe minimum standards which are called that because they are safety standards and when lowered by a consumer, all others in the field may be at risk.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote