View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I dont own one, but...

I don't think they are junk at all. Been wrenching "on the side" for 40 yrs, and an active member of a FORD diesel truck forum since 2008. This s what i have learned:
the 6.0L was built using fewer head bolts per cylinder than previous engines, and torque to yield head bolts were used. In the STOCK non "programmed" configuration, these engine can go a long time. Another issue is the coolant that Ford put in. Oil coolers plug and then cause egr cooler issues that lead to head gasket issues. How to avoid:
dump the Ford gold coolant, flush the system and once clean, use CAT ELC or equivalent. DON'T add any performance chips, tuners etc. Unless you can afford head gasket repair bill. I have friends with stock 6.0's that have had zero issues.

The 6.0 doesn't do good with weak batteries, and the FICM takes the brunt of that. Make sure you keep the batteries up.

The turbo uses variable vane technology, meaning the vanes change pitch to control boost. The part that moves them is called the "unison ring" and it will start sticking of you do a lot of start/stop cycles without heating things up. Best thing is to drive it "like you stole it" once a month the keep the unison ring free.

There are some other "tricks" to the 6.0 and I don't mean to scare you. EVERY engine has it's quirks and if you know about them and take measures to prevent them, the 6.0 can be one mean powerful reliable platform for towing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote