View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #21
Campy Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Campy it is nice for you to be looking at the numbers and trying to get it right.

The only numbers that matter to you are the ones inside the driver door...they are "specific" to your truck and your truck only. I have a few "service manager" friends as well but none, no one, can get into a conversation about RV weights...they just don't know. They do know what their respective manufacturer hype says.

"Classic", "max tow", heavy duty package, etc. etc. etc. mean absolutely nothing. Whatever that sticker says is what all those "things" have done for you as far as towing capability; there is nothing more to add to it.

Short of a fully loaded, cat scaled weight of the trailer the only way to safely estimate what you have is to go with gvw. At 9480 your estimated tongue weight at 13% (which mine have ran over time) would be 1232 lbs. With an actual payload, for that truck, by the sticker (the definitive number - nothing else) of 1667 you are not in a good place. With 2 children and the things they will want to take on a trip vs a couple, you are going to be hard pressed not to be "between a rock and a hard place".

Remember, whatever they call a truck "classic", hd, mega xxx etc., the only thing that defines the towing/carrying capability is the sticker inside the door. Factory brochures, anecdotal thoughts from those that "know" etc. are meaningless. Look at the numbers that are being presented; they aren't as rosy as you think and will need careful scrutiny along with diligence to keep you from endangering you and your family....did I say btdt?
Well Sourdough i will keep you posted sir!! Thanks for keep me on my toes with all the opposite side of seeing this experience. All im doing is gathering as much information as possible to ensure i can get this going and get my family out for new experiences. I was just trying to share that with a cool community with similar trailers and experiences. I heard good things about the travel trailer and camping community.....so ill leave this forum at that....good luck to you all....the shared knowledge was very much appreciated and I thank you all again!!
Campy Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote