View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #19
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campy Sullivan View Post
Thank you!! Very good to know there. I have a nice cache of adaptors going right now. Haven't picked up the 50 amp surge protector yet....looks like i'll need to hit the lottery to afford that one!! haha
Better start playing then, like tonight. You NEED an EMS, either hardwired or an external unit that your 50amp cord plugs into. You want one that will monitor the voltages. Under voltage and over voltages can cause damage to components in your camper (like that new second A/C you just paid for). $300+ for a good EMS (electrical management system) is an insurance policy you can't skip. It's saved my butt before.

Here's an example of one.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I...s%2C175&sr=8-1

There are several on the market to select from. If you buy one for about $100 or more, you're only getting the "surge" protection type, not the voltage fluctuation protection you need. Think summer time, everyone in the park is running their A/C and microwaves and mini fridges, and fans, and they have the fridges on 120v instead of LPG, and everything is fine until the voltages begin to drop in the campground/RV park and it dips into the danger zone and your A/C burns itself up. That $300+ EMS just saved you a thousand at the dealer.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but get one soon, ok. But have fun in the new camper! We'll be out in ours this coming weekend as well.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote