View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum Campy and congrats on the new rig! Lots of great folks here with tons of knowledge and willing to share.

Man, I know you are excited and I hate to be a wet blanket but do so for your safety. That trailer is approx. 9500 lbs. gvw. That is more than your 1500 wants. I towed a trailer very similar to that with a Ram 1500 (2) and the 1/2 ton just doesn't have the cojones for it. It will get you there but not comfortably or safely.

You do have a large carrying capacity in the trailer;

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

This might be your saving grace. If loaded to gvw you won't like pulling it (mine had 2000 carrying capacity, 8000 dry and weighed 9200 loaded). I had to constantly leave things behind, weigh stuff before I put it in etc. I could not stand it.

If you choose to use that truck/trailer combo I would suggest; 1) air bags which you said you have installed (let the pressure down unloaded), 2) immediately get rid of the OEM trailer tires and upgrade to good LRE trailer tires, 3) pull the OEM P rated tires off your truck and put on a good set of LT tires and finally 4) make SURE you get a GOOD 4 point wdh with built in sway. All of those things help both the truck and trailer become more stable and comfortable to pull (btdt - all of it).

How many of you are there? Ages? What do you like to do and toys you intend to take? Anything/everything depletes whatever payload you have as well as moves you toward your max gvw and gawr. Look at the placards (stickers) inside the driver door for payload/axle capacity.

Again, not trying to rain on your parade but want you to be aware of potential hazards. Hopefully you don't need that 28xxlbs. of gear and can install the necessary upgrades to make it all doable and within all the weight specs. Good luck and happy camping.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote