View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Can someone educate me on the real big difference/benefit of a 4-point system like Equalizer versus a 2-point system like Fastway's e2? Is there a breakpoint on TT length/weight where the less expensive 2-point is considered by the Equalizer users "just as good" as the 4-point? I haven't exhaustively searched the manufacturers' web sites, but I don't see the technical justification - only generic discussions on how they work (or maybe I need new glasses!)

I was given (as much as a dealer will give you anything - but I did trade them a spreadsheet I used to scope out the new trailer) the e2, although the Equalizer is also offered at that dealership.

I'm curious to know, if and when we "move up" to a larger TT, do I (or at what point do I) replace the WDH I have with something new.

Thanks.

Ken,

I've never used the E2 nor have I seen a chart that gave hard information on when/where to go from a 2 points of sway control to 4. I think that is simply due to the countless possible combos of trailers and trucks.

For me, I started with a chain wdh on a 1/2 ton, long bed Ford and a 25' TT with no slides. I traveled primarily throughout TX and SE NM. Initially I started with one of the add on "sway" bars that attach to the little outboard balls on the hitch head. That didn't do enough in the wind so went to 2; that still didn't fix it but I lived with it for a few years. I learned of the Equalizer (no internet back then) and went with a 4 point (don't know if they even made the 2 point then) and problem solved.

The difference between the E2 and the 4 point is obviously the points of contact for sway control, 4 vs 2. The E2 gets its sway ability from the contact of the round/trunnion bars contacting the L bracket on the frame. The 4 point gets its sway from those same 2 points plus the adjustable friction swivel points at the head which, IMO, give more control than the L brackets.

Where to draw the line when there is no difference in performance? I don't know definitively. I will say, again IMO, that if my original chain wdh couldn't control a 25' trailer the E2 will do no better so I'm thinking something in the <25'/6000lb. range might be OK. Above that you need all the sway control you can get and aside from the ProPride/Hensley it's hard to beat the 4 point in my experience and conversations with others.

To me you have to separate the 2 functions; wdh and sway control. I figure nearly any wdh out there will work up to about 10k lbs. when many of them limit out (not Equalizer). When effective sway control is considered the field narrows quickly and is as important, or more so, than the distribution aspect. Trying to determine if you have the "best" wdh/sway control possible for a given combination can turn into an expensive little test so I just opt for getting the most/best I can within reason. IMO you can't get TOO much sway control (it can be adjusted) but you definitely can have too little.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote