Thread: Check me please
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #9
TG10894

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
To really know where you are at you need some other information;

The gawr for the truck, particularly the rear on the placard (white I believe) inside the driver door. And, real weights from a scale when truck and trailer are fully loaded; only then will you know where you are against your payload. Also, the weight of your truck loaded and with the tongue of a loaded trailer on it.

Max towing capacity is generally a myth; it's a selling tactic and generally can't be attained within the confines of the other weight limits. Such as, the gvw of your truck. It says it is 6900 lbs. If you drop 1000 lbs. on it from the hitch that leaves 5900 lbs. Now the truck will weigh at around 5000 or more leaving 900 (which is the minimum you said you would have in the truck). Now, weight of family (you don't say how many) so let's say 400 leaving 500 lbs. WDH hitch/100 lbs. leaves 400 lbs. BBQ, tools, blocks, tables, wood, compressor, toys etc. etc. = 400....500? Leaving possibly zero payload or less....and we've forgotten the gawr for the rear.

Folks tow the size trailer you are looking at with a regular 1/2 ton. Not saying they're within limits, but they do. So back to your original questions;

Am I within limits? Maybe, maybe not. You will never know until you load it COMPLETELY for a trip, truck and trailer, and weigh it. 2050 payload for a 1/2 ton is really good. The problem is that it takes a lot of payload to tow a trailer that size with people and "stuff" - generally more than a 1/2 ton has.

Would I be comfortable with that combo? Probably not. Having done that and worse I know exactly what you are talking about when you say "fatigue". The only way to eliminate that is to have an adequate TV. A new truck is not in the cards so.....if you haven't you should 1) install LT tires on your truck, 2) install airbags (I used AirLift 1000), 3) make sure you have a GOOD WDH/sway hitch properly tuned (something like an E2 won't do it), 4) I would install a set of Bilstein shocks and 5) you might upgrade the tires on the trailer to a higher load range (if the wheels support it). All of those things will help firm up the ride and make towing a little less tiresome. Will it fix it completely? No. Will it help? Yes.

It is no fun to drive a TV that is outmatched by the trailer and could lead to drastic consequences. Review your GAWR from the truck and post back and let's see where you are with that. I'm thinking Ford does a pretty good job on the max tow setup so the rear axle ratings may be more than a normal 1/2 ton.
Sourdough - Thanks so much for your time. I appreciate it.
The tire info from the truck placard is
Front GAWR 3300
Rear GAWR 3800

Tire info 265/60R18 max load 2337 lbs at 51psi

Concerning the "payload", its only my wife and I so ~300 lbs total plus "stuff". I plan a trip this fall, and have already scoped out a place with scales so I will weigh the truck and trailer fully loaded. I suspect the trailer will be on the low side of fully loaded so the tongue weight should be on the low side too.

Fatigue - If I had zero or greatly reduced sway, I think it would be a lot easier. I'm not sure how much incremental improvement I would get from each of your suggestions. I have the basic EazLift Round Bar weight distribution hitch(Part 48059 / 1200 lbs hitch / 14K lbs trailer) and two friction sway bars. Once I get out of warranty, I will probably look to make some additional changes.
TG10894 is offline   Reply With Quote