View Single Post
Old 04-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #25
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
As a newbie about to hit the road full-time, I really appreciate all of the info about tires and wheels. It will absolutely keep my family safer on the road.

What really gets me is how the trailer manufacturers and dealers can get away with selling me a BRAND NEW trailer that is stated to have a 1,950 lbs cargo capacity (one of the selling points because of my full-time plans) while putting tires on the trailer that are only rated for 1,720 lbs! (Haven't checked the wheel load capacity yet, but will soon thanks to this post.)

One RVer I follow had THREE blowouts in the first six months on his new trailer because the tires were lower rated (below trailer cargo capacity). If I hadn't seen his video about learning this important piece of info after the fact, I wouldn't have thought to look into all of these issues.

So I'm grateful to him and grateful to you folks for laying all of this out and keeping us safe. Long live the forum.
The cargo capacity label is affixed to the trailer as it was equipped when it left the factory. For all practical purposes it is unused space for weight that was left over once all other weights were established.

Other factors are the manufacturers' values for each axle shown on the certification label as GAWR. Now, the trailer manufacturer must come-up with an acceptable recommended tongue/hitch weight. By acceptable, it must work and have a value within industry standards. Then they must add that hitch weight to total GAWR weights. The sum MUST equal or exceed GVWR.

For RV trailers, tires are fitted to each GAWR according to the weight rating of the GAWR axles. The trailer manufacturer must also set a cold recommended tire inflation pressure that is appropriate for the installed tires. That info is also on the certification label/tire placard.

If a dealer installs options totaling more than 100#, before the trailer is sold, they must amend the cargo label to reflect the weight changes.

The tires on the trailer at the time of first sale must be the same size identified on the certification label.

On edit: I went and looked at the specs for your trailer. Your GAWR axles should be about 3200# ea.. You can verify that by looking at the certification label on the LH forward external section of your trailer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote