View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfifield01 View Post
I'm looking at staying in Muleshoe, TX (near the border), then staying south of Pagosa Springs, CO. This would be a good drive, but I wouldn't have to overnight in NM.

Muleshoe is surely a hole in the wall kind of town. The community was one I was responsible for in my region decades ago. If you stay there you should treat yourself to eating at Leal's Mexican restaurant. Back then the founder Mr. Leal worked in the restaurant and would personally visit with you. I don't think he does that anymore or even if he is alive. They did expand what was an extremely popular menu into several restaurants around the region. Looks like they only have a carryout menu at the moment but you should check. I used to love their burrito plate; don't remember what the name of it was but it might have been the Leal's Special. If it is as good as it used to be you can't go wrong and will have a new benchmark for Mexican food.

On another note, if you are going in July they might be bringing in corn. I haven't seen near the number of corn fields in that area in recent years but if you find some you should try it. Did a favor for a farmer there and he called me to give some corn. They were loading the ears into crates. I pulled up and he had some hands come to the truck and load me up with a 1/2 dozen crates of corn. It was the bi color, super sweet kind and it was the first time I had ever had it and it knocked my socks off (we were used to what we call "field" corn). Anyway, a couple of things to check out in an otherwise unremarkable place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote