View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Folkie

When we looked at a 2019 Cougar 22RBS in the dealer lot it came Wind senor ready. Also had the local controls on the awning arm. Since we have camped a lot where we got caught away from the camper when the wind picks up that option sealed the deal for us and we ordered a 2020 on the spot. I then went home and ordered the wind sensor (annoyed of course that it was an option). Alas, when the new camper was delivered from the factory it came with the old awning design.
After I cooled down, a discussion with the factory sales rep revealed that they had enough issues with it that the smart awning was dropped from the new models. After talking some more I think the major cause for problems was owners not setting the sensitivity correctly for the conditions. For some the awning would retract with a slight breeze (annoying) for others it would not retract when needed (potentially damaging). When the awning gets damaged then the fight starts on who has to pay (owner, dealer, awning manufacture, sensor OEM or Keystone) enter the lawyers. So Keystone took the easy (cheap) way out and discontinued it.
All that said, if I had the smart awning I would still get the sensor figuring it would be cheap insurance for that one time when I forgot to bring it in or we get a sudden wind blow in.
I would like from any others who can share their experience good or bad.
Folkie is offline   Reply With Quote