View Single Post
Old 01-15-2023, 07:28 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
The post, as worded, made a very strong implication that all but a few "guests" were/are crooks.

"All of those guests are "not members". A few are people who just haven't yet joined the forum but are looking at posts. A few are "bots" from Google, FaceBook, Twitter and a few marketing firms.

A few, as defined by the Google Language Dictionary, means:
1. a small number
2. used to emphasize how small a number is

So, of the 689 "guests" mentioned in the post, most (virtually all - by implication) were/are crooks, according to the post. Or do you think "a few" means 60%? 80%? 95%?

You are correct, many (most?) do not realize the assault forums such as this take from spammers.

I do. I was the administrator for my Carpenters Union (my local chapters) web page and forum. In fact I designed them (the web page and the forum), implemented them and administered them for over seven years before I retired. It was a lot of work sifting thru the posts and culling out the fake ones and the fake registration requests. Still - I take exception to the idea that only "a few" guests are legitimate and almost everyone else are crooks. It is simply not true (in my experience) and is disingenuous.

First, thank you for putting words in my mouth and telling me what I "really intended to say"..... You more or less "missed the mark" on interpreting my intent, but.....

When there are 658 BOTS on the forum, whether it's "a few" or "more than a few" or "maybe most" or "substantially fewer than most" or whatever "google definition" you choose to assign to "MY WORDS" not to "YOUR WORDS", is pretty much academic.

When there is "ONE BOT" gleaning a member's information and that member is potentially exposed to nefarious activity using data found on this forum, then "ONE IS TOO DAMN MANY".....

So, without going further into "what you think I intended to say" the POINT I WAS MAKING is that members of this forum need to pay attention to what they post and also pay attention to what they might receive "off the forum" in other methods they use to access the internet because ONE IS TOO MANY when it affects you.

Again, thanks for telling me what I intended to say.... Next time I post something, maybe I should get your approval before posting ???? NOPE !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS