View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Bamabox

Might be overkill, but..........

With an extended trip upcoming, inspected and repacked wheel bearings with red and tacky. 2017 Cougar Xlite 21RBS with Dexter 4400lb axles. Got all part #’s from Dexter (very friendly people) with serial # off axle tag. Genuine Dexter seals were a little tough to find, but found some fairly local. Original bearings and races looked very good. So no need to replace. Spindles looked good as well. I got thinking about having a bearing failure on the road. If a bearing fails, I can’t be driving out races and driving in new ones, packing bearings, replacing seals etc on the side of the road. What I think I could manage however is just to replace the entire hub and drum if it had the races installed, and I had prepacked the bearings. Driving in a new seal wouldn’t be that bad. As it turns out, Dexter sells a hub and drum kit which is complete. Races installed. Matching bearings. Seal, jam nut, washer, nut clip, dust cap etc. In my case it was Dexter # K08-407-90. Found a great price on it at TrailerPartsSuperstore (Eastern Marine), and they had them in stock. Little less than $150 including shipping. Overkill? Paranoid? I just thought it was good insurance for not a lot of money.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote