View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Sorry, I read this and I just have to comment. For my hosting position I'm doing in August in North Carolina, I did not say where that will be. OK, I'll spill the beans: Pilot Mountain State Park.

What's so unusual about this campground? Well, there is only one RV, full hook-up, site in the campground. And that is the campground host site.

All the other sites in the campground are for tent campers! No electricity and only a couple running water spigots in the campground. A modern shower/bath house/restroom facility and every site is clearly marked with raised platforms where the tents are to be placed. If anyone has a small camper, like a tear drop, a Scamp, or a Casita, you'll fit the space with no problem. Anything bigger, and it will never fit.

It should prove to be an interesting experience! It's been a long-long time since we tent camped. I might have forgotten how! But if asked, I'll sure help anyone as best as i can if they need help.

Knew a fella that hosted at a place like that in a NF campground on the way to our mountain home. Had known him since I was a teen. He did it for many years and loved it. The campground there was like you describe (no raised tent platforms) and he said it went really smooth with the exception of some holiday weekends when a larger group might come in, get drunk and get loud. There all he had to do was call the sheriff's office but he said that was less than a handfull of times in many years (maybe 10?) of hosting from May until late Oct. Sounds like fun actually. They had a large propane tank for the host and actually brought in firewood and stacked about a cord at a time for him. Even had a 2nd site plumbed for a "helper" and the last few years they would let 2 come in and work the campground.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote