View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Swap out that F150 for an F350 dualy diesel and you can carry anything in your camper in that pass-through and under the bed! OK, that isn't going to happen, I understand.

How about.... um ... traveling with empty tanks, fresh water and waste holding tanks. I've had 3 different travel trailers and now a fifth wheel, and when traveling with full tanks, YOU KNOW IT! As a general rule, we always travel with empty tanks, at the most, 10-15 gallons of fresh water in the tank for roadside bathroom stops. But, if you boomdock, well, that isn't practical either. You need to travel with full tanks. ... again the F350 will solve that problem too? Oppos, I did it again!

Just an assumption? You are using a weight distribution hitch? right? If not, that in itself will help distribute all the weight of the trailer more even, and then traveling with fluid in those tanks is not so noticeable. But even though I've towed with nothing but 3500 dualy's (chevy), (OK, I did it again), I still used weight distribution hitches (Equal-i-zer 4-point).

Now that I have a behemoth fifth wheel, I don't need a weight distribution hitch any more, but I still travel with empty tanks. As big and bulky as my rig is now, (hint, hint)... when my tanks are full, I can feel the difference towing.

There is much to be said about weights of both the trailer and the tow vehicle. 10% - 15% of the total trailer weight (completely loaded) should be on the tongue for a safe, no sway tow (of any trailer). Then the tow vehicle has to be able to safely handle that weight hanging from the back end and not cause an overload in the vehicle's total weight it can carry.

Meanwhile ... if you had an F350 dualy diesel .... well ....