View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 07:56 AM   #44
DominickP53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
15 amps or 20 amps, it's all a "numbers game" that depends on the load you turn on in the trailer. The "good thing" is that using 12 volts, you have a "dual system" since the battery acts as a backup for the converter, so essentially the entier 55 amps (assuming you have a 55 amp converter/charger) is available to power the trailer and charge the battery while the battery acts as "a reserve power source" for the converter.

As for using a 50 amp dog bone attached to a 30 amp dog bone attached to a 110 adapter, that will work as long as the 30 to 50 amp adapters connect to both L1 and L2 in the trailer power center. If they only connect to one side of the power center main circuit breaker, the converter/charger circuit breaker MUST be on that side of the main breaker. So, as long as you power the converter with the shore power cord, you should be OK to run the refrigerator, lights and a fan at night. The "good thing" about using 12 volt power is that while you're sleeping (not using a lot of power) the converter/charger can work overtime to replenish the battery which will give you the extra power reserve needed to operate the refrigerator during the hot part of the day without putting an increased demand on the 15 amp shore power connection.

With a conscientious effort to not overload the trailer 120 VAC system, the converter/charger will draw about 5 amps max, leaving you roughly 10 amps for the fan, TV and computer charging, etc.... Just don't plug in a big coffee pot, you'll be walking to the house to turn the circuit breaker back on....

I think you'll be OK as long as you pay attention to what you're trying. And, if you have room, I'd take the generator as a "backup plan" to run a single air conditioner if it's a "sweltering, oppressive kind of hot"... Hopefully you won't need to revert to that, but better off being prepared and not need it than to need it and not have it as a backup.
I understand there is a 50 amp to 15 amp dog bone that I can use . I only have a 50 amp fixed main connection on trailer for shore power. I don’t understand L1 and L2 connection to trailer power center. I’ll do some research on that. The power center is where the fuses are right? Thanks for the great tips and advice
2020 F350 6.7 diesel SRW
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote