View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Another Reason to Turn The Water Off...

We spent the long weekend at a local KOA with family camping in a site next to us and a few dozen easter eggs for the grandkids to hunt. A family next to us on the opposite side (off-door, or street side) had pulled in the evening before in a class B RV. They were traveling with their family (brothers and wives) who were in the site in front of them.

At any rate the following day, the breeze picked up and two empty styrofoam egg containers blew off our table and under our camper to the other side. I walked around to get them and saw that water was pouring out of underside of the driver side of the motorhome next to us. It was a lot more water than just a fresh water overflow, this was pouring out from frame area under the driver's door all the way back to just before the rear axle. I busted through the hedge and knocked on the entrance door with no answer. The two small dogs inside barked at me in defense of their territory. Their's brothers TV in the site in front of them was gone and I figured they had gone out for breakfast or something. I turned off their water at the pedestal and after a few minutes the water flow from under the RV began to slow and eventually stopped. Hours went by and it became obvious to me that they had gone to the local sites for the day (likely Kennedy Space Center).

Late afternoon I noticed they had just returned and I walked over to tell them what I had seen and what I had done. They were grateful for turning off the water and they had begun to pull out wet items (dog beds, some carpets and such). They thanked me and I left them to finding the source of, what I figured was a busted PEX connection or faucet connection somewhere. Or even the toilet connection. A few minutes later I offered them my set of PEX connections, length of red and blue PEX pipe, and the compression bands and the crimping tool to fix the leak if they could find it. They happily accepted my offer but declined as they had just found the source of the leak... the kitchen sink faucet.

Apparently they put the sink cover over the sink so that the dogs don't hurt themselves if they were to get up on the counters. Seems as though the small dogs (or at least one of them) had in fact gotten up on the counter and hit/bumped the sink faucet, turning on the water and it flowed out over that sink cover and down onto the floor, eventually finding its way out where I saw it.

I learned years ago to turn off the water when leaving camp, just in case. Never did I think that I'd actually see this happen, and never because of a pet accidentally turning on the kitchen faucet. I can understand how easily that can happen considering these newer faucets the the handle designs. I was glad they didn't have a busted line or connection. So were they!!