View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #39
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There are several "commercially available" mold elimination products. WalMart, Lowe's and Home Depot will have them on the shelf. Any commercial janitorial store will also have them available as will Amazon and EBay. You can also use either white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. Spray either (don't mix them together) into all the areas you can see and access. Allow them to dry and your mold should be gone. Remember that the stains will probably remain, but the mold (actually a fungus) will be dead. Bleach is effective to kill mold, but does not penetrate the surface, so it will only kill mold "on contact". Any mold that's grown into cracks or crevices will remain and continue to grow. In other words, bleach will "remove the stain and make it "look like the mold is gone" but it often times returns as soon as the "ideal growing season" (dark and warm) return.

I'd make a trip to WalMart, pay $5 for a spray bottle of mold eliminator, buy a dehumidifier, learn to take showers with the vent OPEN and let things dry out. Leave the plastic trim off the vent so things can dry out rather than closing it all up and having a bigger problem in the spring.
I never knew that about bleach. I've always used it and it seems to work okay from the looks of it but I didn't know it couldn't penetrate into porous materials.