View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

When your trailer was constructed, the large components were placed on the floor, the sidewalls were built around them, then the inside ceiling panels were placed in position from sidewall to sidewall. Next the rafters were installed, the inside panels were then stapled to the rafters and after wiring runs, ducting and insulation, the "top OSB roof decking" was installed and stapled in place.

ALL of your interior ceiling panels span the entire trailer width, from sidewall to sidewall. You can't "remove the bathroom ceiling panel" without cutting it at the bathroom wall/ceiling points. While it's not "impossible" it does take some significant pre-planning and thought to make sure you can remove the ceiling molding, cut along the edges, pull/pry the ceiling panel off the rafters and gain access to everything "above the panel. Realize that there are lights, A/C duct vents, skylights and that powered roof vent as well as hidden 12 VDC and 120 VAC wiring, radio/TV cable, insulation and rafters that will all "come tumbling down on your head" as soon as you start pulling the interior luan panel from the rafters.

Based on what you're describing, I'd question whether you really have a "roof leak" or not. The ENTIRE vent is sealed from the top flange to the TPO roof membrane. The ENTIRE vent is sealed between the flange and the TPO under the flange with clay/butyl putty. There is always a "possibility" of a leak, but based on how you describe not using the vent while showering and seldom/never opening the vent to allow condensation to escape. I really don't think you're facing an "active rooftop leak".

I'd suspect that you've got considerable moisture from condensation that originated by showering/cooking/breathing in the "closed up trailer" and that is the source of your "water damage". Before attempting to remove the ceiling panels in an RV that you're living in during the winter, I'd first begin a regimen of "active ventilation, dehumidification and get things dry, for now. You really don't want to start tearing things apart in a 200 square foot box that is your "home" while the weather is not acceptable for being outside during the renovation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0311.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	20377   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0312.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	20378  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS