View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
Jeepshots

Hi - we own the 243BHS, and initially started towing it with a Dodge Durango Citadel AWD with the 5.7L Hemi. Dodge's version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, albeit with 3rd row seating. It had the 7200 lb towing capacity. It also had 1200 lbs of cargo capacity. The TT did not come with an electric tongue jack. I had the dealer install one after I tried to hand-crank it up/down (it went down very easy, up - notsomuch). While we were at it, also had them install a slide topper. Wish I'd have thought about a fantastic fan or Maxxair or something along those lines as well. Back to the tow vehicle... We could tow with the Durango, but it was a handful. Trailer easily succumbed to winds and 18-wheelers moved you around when they passed. We had two kids and two dogs. Because of the numbers, we didn't carry anything in the Durango other than a small cooler for drinks/snacks that sat between the kids. Nothing in the back. The reason was, with the tongue weight of the camper and all of us in it, we were pegging the cargo capacity of the vehicle. After five months of towing with the Durango, we traded it in on a Ram 3500 crew cab. It has more room in the back seating area than the Durango had, and winds/18-wheelers no longer move us around. I can load up all I want in the bed, as we went from 1200lb cargo capacity to 3800lb cargo capacity. Basically, the truck doesn't care/know that the trailer is behind it. You never forgot it when driving the Durango. So much easier towing our camper now.

I'm not saying you can't do the 243BHS with the Trailhawk - you can. But you'll be right up there near your limits. Upgrade your tires to LT tires to remove the squishiness/wiggliness you'll feel, get a great weight distribution hitch and get it set up properly. Find a reputable trailer brake controller and get it dialed in. Distribute your items thru-out the camper - don't just load it all into the front storage. Get all set up for camping, all loaded out, and go! Hit the scales on your way out (research the proper weighing process for CAT scales - very easy and eye-popping informative). Don't get in a rush to get where you're going, and use tow/haul to help keep your engine/tranny happy. Enjoy your camper! Ping me for questions if you have any...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote