View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 04:32 AM   #10
tundrwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblanch57 View Post
You might be able to make one. Take a board the size of the cover needed and the thickness, then take a piece of Plexiglas, place it on the board centered and in the oven, heat it until it molds around the board.

It is a thought?
Well, a thought, but having tried that in the past - it's problematic. Too much heat, and you've got a fire. A bit too much and it develops bubbles in the plastic. Hard to get just right. The "drape over mold" does work, but it's very tricky. And I would ONLY do it with a toaster oven, out in a shop. Wifee doesn't like those things in her oven (Try stove-top parkerizing... another story...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Another possibility is to mount a "décor matching" picture frame with a lexan/plexiglass sheet instead of glass, appropriately sized (custom frame if really picky) over the panel. Mount hinges on one side and a "child proof" latch on the other. If "out of sight/out of mind" is a requirement, then cover the lexan with opaque contact paper???

As for lighting, an LED reading light mounted on the opposing wall (or on the ceiling) and aimed toward the panel ?? Possibly a switch mounted adjacent to the picture frame to turn the reading light off/on ???
Both of those are thoughts that hadn't occurred to me. One of those "deep" style picture frames with hinges might work, and a self-stick ceiling bullet light - maybe. I'll have to ponder those and see where they take me. Initial though is that the frame is going to be very "light", not very strong, and easy to "swipe off" the wall as you pass it, if you hit something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddkiser07 View Post
I have twin 3 year olds, and I did think that would be a problem. So far so good. They are more interested in other things. Such as climbing up and down the ladder and playing with their toys. I would give it a try and see if it becomes a problem before doing anything. I do like the idea of a custom picture frame (made from cedar) with plexi glass. You can use piano hinge to keep it low profile. Maybe put a picture of the family on the plexi glass, so you cant see the buttons and draw interest to the kids.
Again, I agree with this basic concept. Just have to figure out a way to make it "strong" - and the piano hinge might be the ticket.

Thanks all!
tundrwd is offline   Reply With Quote