View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Festus

The part of my post you copied said I didn't believe comments about financial status was directed at any particular person. I think when one posts a question about a particular, personal situation and gets a reply that sort of takes in everything it's easy to think that the response is to "you".

By his response I believe Grubby interpreted it that way and I was trying to point out the fact that they weren't in fact directed his way - just general observation. I'm now in my mid 60's and have lived at most levels of the financial spectrum; from walking alleys collecting coke bottles to sell for 2 cents so we could buy a 10 cent can of chicken noodle soup to keep from starving to owning various properties/stuff and not really worrying about a bank balance. I have absolutely lived the scenarios you depict; could only afford one payment, need to use the truck I have, want as much as I can get and on and on. You were spot on in describing what we, as humans, do to try to rationalize our wants. Whether it fits the person posting you don't know but you tried to hit all the bases...to help.

I said in my post that these conversations on this forum were part, a large part, of my decision to re-think my decision to pull my rv with the truck I had. I had the latitude of going out and buying a new truck..some folks don't. Please know that when I say the input was a large part of of my decision to go to a 3/4 understand that I had already crunched numbers until I was cross eyed to make sure the 1/2 ton would work (and more than anything.....told my wife it would - no new truck needed); weighed the truck/trailer etc.; packed, weighed etc. etc. The comments made here made me think further, and harder, about my decision and my willingness to "take it to the limits". In the old days, before the internet and this type of forum, I would never have changed my mind because that's the way I am. I did, and even if I have partially liquified kidneys due to the ride of the truck, when I feel a pull, tug, whip etc. the first thing that crosses my mind is not "Dear God, did I forget to empty a tank, did I misload, what did I do wrong....please don't let this do something crazy" - simply because I knew I was at the limits on my load. I don't have that now and whether real or imagined, the mental relief makes me feel much better.

On my first reading of some of the responses to my original email I felt as I think Grubby did. Upon reflection I understood what the posts were trying to say and I'm good with it. We all share a passion for an activity that we all enjoy. The help that we can bring each other is immeasurable. Thank you for your efforts, input and willingness to help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote