View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Grubby,

I experienced the same lecture when I bought my 319RLS earlier this year and posted my experience about pulling it with a 1/2 ton. There are those that wholeheartedly believe you should pull a 20' trailer with a 3500 dualie...for whatever reason. There are those that want to pull 12,000lb RVs with a 1/2 ton. Use the numbers, load appropriately, equip the truck with the right stuff (wd hitch, tires, air bags etc.) and you will have a great time. I convinced myself to upgrade to a 3/4 ton pickup partially due to conversations on this forum. What did I get? I spent a large amount of money, have brakes that are less responsive than the 1/2 ton - although bigger, have a much larger truck that is harder to park (had to modify the front ledge in my garage), doesn't run as well and a ride that has already pretty much liquified my kidneys (due to the 80lb required in the rear tires). The towing experience was somewhat improved but to say "night and day" and terms like that is way overstating it. Would I do it again....I need to pull the rv in more diverse terrain than I have to date to determine that.

Like you, I received the comments about possibly don't have the money, payments too big and those little observations. Although those comments are seemingly directed at "you" I don't think they are. I took them personally and I can buy anything I want...without worrying about acquiring a payment. There are lots of good observations that warrant consideration and thought - just understand that the comments are to help. They were one of the considerations when I decided to buy the 3/4 ton. I knew what I had, but reflecting on the posts I read here, and wanting to be completely safe, I made the switch. Now I hope it was worth it - BUT, at least I now have clearance lights on the cab!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote