View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Even experienced RV owners will fall victim of this. I had towed a 30' and 35' 5er (8,000 and 11,000 lbs respectively) with a 2500 for several years. The TV was a gas and then upgraded to a diesel for the larger unit. Having experience with enclosed car trailers in the past I would say they both towed pretty much as expected. When we upgraded to our current Alpine, I expected a little more "push/pull" factor from the larger unit so I wasn't surprised when I got it behind the 2500, I also felt it "towed well", going home. After our first trip out I realized the extra size and weight were more than the truck could handle safely. Notice I said size and weight, it's not just the weight of the unit being towed, but the side effects from wind and body roll as well. I immediately started looking for a dually. The first trip out with our 3500 dually was night and day....The 40' 15k lb 5er was as nice and stable as the 8k lb 5er was behind the 2500 truck.

Could I have continued to tow the new RV with the 2500? Yes, and maybe have gotten away with it for many years and miles....or maybe the next mile would have exposed it's deficiencies. As already pointed out, my previous experience with the 2500 and the smaller 5er exposed me to how a 5th wheel should feel. It just took me a bit to remind myself and then admit that I needed to upgrade TVs. That wasn't easy, I really liked my 2500 and still miss it....just not when I hook up to the camper.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote