View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Maybe we should take a step back when thinking this guy should be jailed. Give me any three examples where stupid drivers are jailed for accidents that injure no one.
Honestly, you want to jail an individual for acting stupidly? Think about that one.....
I think so in some cases. In this one, his acts could have, but apparently didn't, cause someone (maybe many someone's) to take evasive action injuring/killing themselves. Sort of like shooting a weapon at someone; although you didn't hit them and no one was injured, you're going to jail....or,

Driving around the loop in Alamogordo, NM one day I saw a nut swerving all over the oncoming lanes (divided 4 lane) so I slowed up, in a bit he just came across the median at 65mph or so, flew up over the edge and into our lanes almost hitting a motorhome head on (I had stopped). The motor home was locked up and howling trying to miss this guy that went on across the road and crashed. I stopped to check on the motor home and the passenger plus dog had been thrown forward and gotten banged up but OK; the inside looked a mess - but no one was hurt per se. About that time the guy got going so I got in my Hummer made a U and followed him with 911 on the line. He ran across the 4 lane 2 more times, ran into and knocked down a steel stop sign, veered down a side road and parked in front of a trailer. I waited for about a minute and 2 unmarked cars and a sheriff's dept. vehicle showed up. They went to get him but he wouldn't come out so they went in and got him - he went to jail. I know, these are not the same but many people go to jail for stupid mistakes.....as they should depending on what it was. In the case of the biker I'm not talking about life, just 3-5 days or so to tame down that giddy "that was so cool" mentality and hopefully inject a little "real life" into the situation.

Edit: In the above scenario he was taken away in handcuffs; I ASSUME he was jailed and I think I vaguely remember reading about it in the paper but I'm not 100% sure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote