Thread: Winter Package
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #34
Western Traveler

I realize most are talking full time here with larger rigs but I have been Combing the forum for winter package info as I await delivery of my 21RBSWE. I hunt Montana in the fall and have had temps drop from 20F to -20F overnight. I realize I will be lucky to maintain a comfortable camp at even that higher temp.
I met the Keystone West Coast Rep and he swore the "New" Western Edition Polar Plus+ were tested to "0"F.
I plan on looking in the underbelly at delivery just to see what's there.
The salesman said "Just know All these rigs are three season at best."
I had looked at Arctic Fox and Lance before choosing my Cougar.

So I was in the mountains a couple of weeks ago traveling on a two track to a trailhead and saw an Arctic Fox set up on a turnout. Daytime Temp about 30 F and snowing. That afternoon on the way out I saw the hunter at his rig and stopped to chat. I asked if he was set up full service and he said no that he was winterized and didn't think he could operate in the teens and doubted any of the smaller rigs could.
Arctic Fox claims to be a true 4 season and a comparable rig to mine weighs in a lot higher (a big reason I passed on it).
So the reality of all this for me is winterized rig for late season hunts.
Unless someone has experience with the "New" Polar Package Plus+ that could enlighten me.
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote