Thread: Winter Package
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer View Post
some of the new west coast cougars appear to be much more well insulated with a different "winter" package than the polar package. thermopane windows, foam in the attic instead of fiberglass batts. Insulation in the pass throughs next to beds, insulation along the frame rails and above the coreplast. Direct heat to the underbelly.

Claim is you can use the trailer down to 0F.

Still, given the window area and sidewall thickness, there is only so much you can do to keep heat in.
ktmracer:

Almost all of the above "improvements" seem focused on keeping the interior of the RV warm and toasty. Now, what steps have been taken to protect both the tanks and the water lines. The tanks are housed in the underbelly and a sizeable length of water lines are in exterior storage compartments or in other unprotected areas.

Unless the underbelly is protected with adequate amounts of properly placed insulation and all the openings are sealed to prevent outside air from penetrating into the opening, I am left to wonder about how effective is "direct heat to the underbelly". Having direct heat is great as long as this heat arrives in sufficient quantity, is not diluted with cold air making its way into the underbelly and has enough insulation to make it effective.

Sorry, I just can't buy Keystone's claim that the West Coast newer models are good to 0 degrees F. Have they found a way to keep the tanks and water lines from freezing? Run the furnace 24/7? Place heaters in compartments?

I think that the "answer" Bob got from Keystone pretty much sums it up..... "use your own judgment". Real comforting.